Saturday, 23 April 2016

One with You

One with You (A Crossfire Novel)
Author: Sylvia Day
Publisher: Penguin
Release date: 5th April 2016

Blurb (Taken from inside the front cover of the book):  Gideon Cross.  Falling in love with him was the easiest thing I've ever done.  It happened instantly.  Completely.  Irrevocably.
Marrying him was a dream come true.  Staying married to him is the fight of my life.  Love transforms.  Ours is both refuge from the storm and the most violent of tempests.  Two damaged souls entwined as one.
We have bared our deepest, ugliest secrets to one another.  Gideon is the mirror that reflects all my flaws... and all the beauty I couldn't see.  He has given me everything.  Now, I must prove I can be the rock, the shelter for him that he is for me.  Together, we could stand against those who work so viciously to come between us.
But our greatest battle may lie within the very vows that give us strength.  Committing to love was only the beginning.  Fighting fr it will either set us free... or break us apart.
Heartbreakingly and seductively poignant, One with You is the breathlessly awaited finale to the Crossfire saga, the searing love story that ha captivated millions of readers worldwide.

Let's talk about the cover: Wow!  So simple, yet so meaningful to the readers.  First of all, I love that the cover is white.  The first three books in this series had black covers, all similar in style with their seductive images and elegantly coloured titles.  The fourth book surprised us all when it came out with a grey cover.  Sticking with the same theme, the cover had an image on it that reflected some of the key symbols from the story, in this case, the chain.  The new book is white.  And how symbolic?!  Gideon loved to see Eva wearing white, he called her his Angel and saw the purity in her that she didn't believe existed.  It says so much about what was important that this cover reflected that side of their relationship when there was so much ugliness involved too.  
And the image... their rings.  We were introduced to Gideon's ring in book three, Entwined with You, when Eva went out to buy Gideon a ring to symbolise their marriage vows.  She picked the platinum wedding band with the red rubies in to symbolise some of their more memorable moments together and Gideon recognised this; 'Red is our colour... Red dresses in limos.  Red fuck-me heels at garden parties.  A red rose in your hair when you married me.' Eva also linked red to being owned by Gideon; 'Red.  Like the cuffs he'd bought for me.  I felt similarly captured and bound now.'  
Eva's ring we only learn about on the last few pages of this book when Gideon finally gives it to her.  Eva already wore a diamond ring that Gideon gave her on their wedding day; his mother's engagement ring that she had worn when she was with Gideon's father.  After everything they go through, Gideon reveals Eva's wedding band, a 'large round diamonds in a channel setting circled the entire band, shooting multi-hued sparks.'
In summary I don't think that that book cover could have been anything else.  It sums up the entire series with such a simple image, and gives us readers hope for our own happily ever after.

Review:  Well this book definitely delivered for me.  It has been well awaited and I have been back and and reread the other books before reading the new one so that all the details were fresh in my mind ready for the last instalment of the saga.  I started this book wondering how much there really was left of the story to tell, but it continued with the same passion and excitement that the others did.  I couldn't put it down.  
Gideon and Eva finally learn to trust in each other's love and believe that their love is enough for them to survive everything that life can throw at them.  It has taken several books for them to learn how to take advantage of each other's strengths and to believe that they can actually be there for each other.  Gideon had grown up not trusting anyone else, and had learned from a young age to be independent and not need others in his life.  Eva, despite her rough history, had chosen to surround herself with people that she trusted and create a support system that she relied on to get her through each day.  So when they came along for each other, they constantly pushed at each other's boundaries.
I have to admit, I feel that there were a few tangents that distracted from the main storyline, and I have to wonder if Sylvia Day had run out of material to keep the story going.  There were a couple of incidents that played out that to me, didn't really add anything to the story other than to confuse the reader and distract them from Gideon and Eva's drama.  Don't get me wrong, the story played out and everything works out in the end, with the happily ever after that we all expected, but I feel that some of the details were unnecessary.  
Not the best book of the series, I feel that it didn't need as many books to fulfil the reader's high expectations, but then again, it is still a series that I can read over and over again and takes one of the main spots on my book shelf.

Rating: 4 Stars
~~~ * ~~~

All opinions are my own and not encouraged by the authors, editors, publishers or any other company involved in the production of the book mentioned in the above post.

Click on the image of the book cover to go to Amazon where you can purchase your own copy of the book and follow the link set on the author's name to head over to their website.

Other books mentioned in this post are the other stories in the Crossfire Series by the same author.  Follow this link to check out the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment