Saturday, 2 April 2016

Unbreakable

Unbreakable (Forehead Kisses #1)
Author: Abby Reynolds
Publisher: Amazon Media
Release Date: 2014

Blurb (Taken from Amazon):
Can there be too many pieces to piece back together?
This s a question Keira faces every day.  It's impossible for her to go anywhere unaccompanied by her cousin, the only person who knows what happened on that horrific night a year ago.  The guilt and pain weigh her down every day.  Unwilling to open up to anyone and give someone a chance, she lives in solitude.
For her, that's the only way to live.
Liam struggles with his own demons.  After losing someone who means the world to him, he combats his anger and pain on a daily basis.  He dives into violence and sex, losing himself more and more.  But as soon as he meets Keira, he recognises the same pain he suffers every day.  And he pursues her, wanting to connect to someone who understands.
Keira can't put herself back together, and neither can Liam.  But can they do it together?

Let's talk about the cover: Well, what red-blooded woman wouldn't be attracted to that cover?  I first saw this book as an advertisement on Facebook, and investigated from there.  Yes the attraction was to the cover, and once I read the blurb I knew I had to check it out.  Love the photography for this whole series of books!  I think that the black and white makes them stand out and catch your attention, and the yellow text; although I would never have thought it as I'm not a huge 'yellow' fan, really compliments the grey scale photographs.

Review: I'll start with the good stuff; I loved the storyline.  The story is told in first person from both Keira's and Liam's point of view and therefore gives an in depth insight into both of their characters.  I was gripped right from page one and followed the story with immense emotion, and a fair few tears in places.  Abby Reynolds really captured the heart of the relationship and made both of her characters relatable despite the fact that their personal situations were so far from my own.  I genuinely felt for them both at times throughout the story and was routing from them all the way.

Now, I'm not going to lie, this wasn't the best written or edited book in my opinion.  The whole book was littered with spelling and grammar mistakes and could have done with some serious editing. I found it very repetitive in places; the same information being given and the same phrases being over used.  However for me, although being annoying, it didn't distract from the storyline, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes this type of book.

My one annoyance is that it clearly stated in the write up for this book that it was 'a stand alone novel' and 'not a cliffhanger' though followed up with the fact that it was 'the first novel in the Forehead Kisses Series.'  I assumed that it was a non chronoligical series with plenty of different characters that all linked together - a lot like several other series' I have read.  Now granted, there wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it clearly wasn't the end of Liam and Keria's story either, and low and behold their story continued into two more books, making it a trilogy, not a stand alone novel.  There's just a little bit of false advertising there...  The series did continue with Liam and Keira before veering off to other characters in the series.  

Rating: 4 Stars
~~~ * ~~~

All opinions are my own and not encouraged by the authors, editors, publishers or any other company involved in the production of the book mentioned in the above post.

Click on the image of the book cover to go to Amazon where you can purchase your own copy of the book and follow the link set on the author's name to head over to their website.

Other books mentioned in this post are the other stories in the Forehead Series by the same author.  Follow this link to check out the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment